18 October 2013

It's red velvet, cupcake


// Sheer and velvet top - Primark, £6 // Leather trousers - H&M, £15 // Doc Martens  - Agyness Deyn for Doc Marten, £90 //

This outfit I wore to go to this local gig at the pioneer about two weeks ago. I've definitely got a focus on texture at the moment: this outfit comprised of sheer mesh, leather and velvet layered on like lace. The top was one of those things that you try on and then just have absolutely no debate before buying - £6! I swear Primark is an actual lifesaver.  

If you haven't already invested in a pair of leather trousers, I seriously recommend you do. They go with anything, even pairing with a lady-like blouse just adds a new twist to the outfit. I really can't tell you how much I've worn these.
 
Buying from Primark does of course raise certain ethical issues, but one thing I always notice is that Topshop, River Island, H&M and all the other high street stores always have labels that say "Made In Japan/Taiwan/India" and surely these companies will all pay the workers minimum wage, just like Primark, and most likely don't overly regulate the conditions their workers are in, just like Primark. I guess the main problem is just that there is little selection of fairtrade and sweatshop free clothes available. Plus, what is available is very expensive and therefore inaccessible to the majority of young consumers - trust me if I could afford to buy from American Apparel I would! What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments section!!

No comments:

Post a Comment